a timeless fire

Figurines sit collecting dust
Eloquence warying away
It's been a while I've taken notice of 
The things outside my head

Muscle memory of grandma
Sewing woollens for her unborn heir 
Going up with each sequin
Are her true-blue prayers

The longing for someone she hasn't met yet
Shaped like the most fertile cornucopia
I still remember the day I was told
How my birth was mourned like a dystopia

If indeed I were a boy,
Would all misery then be cured?
Is this form I currently reside in
A punishment that I must endure?

Often, I find myself indulging
In the simple pleasure of thoughtfulness
I wander to seek the answer to 
"Does God also discriminate?"

I can't help but beg Him
To give in to their desire
For I cannot bear even the thought of
Another one at the end of this timeless fire.

-Rishika Chutani

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts