The only way out is through

Is there anybody else who too, is like me (non-judgmental drumbeats, please :)), scared of winters? 

The uncomfort that stems from the cold has over the years translated into a fear that holds me back during the rest of the year from savouring the non-winter months, because the subconscious head keeps busy pyschogically analysing the supposed trauma I picture I'm going to have to brave ahead. And no, not preparing for the trauma, just being fearful of the inevitable. 

Upon quite a lot of deliberate thinking, I have reached a rather embarassing conclusion-

My winters tend to be calmer (at least mentally) because when the trauma is the present, I focus my energies on fighting it and not being afraid of it. One way or another, I find my way around the chilly mornings that drive in me an aversion towards getting out of that cozy blanket, and wearing full-sleeves clothes and disagreeable sweaters (ew panic setting yet again heh), and not being able to drink iced lemonade in the afternoon. And I make most of the mornings because the Sun sets soon and I don't like nightly darkness as much, take care of my lips that'd turn chapped otherwise, and just be overall hopeful counting down days to spring and light. 

This stands true for everything I fear, mostly because I underestimate my ability to get through it, before it actually sets in. But each time the annual tribulation comes to an end, I end up re-learning that what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

This, I believe, is a reminder to everyone (that includes me) to let not the worries of future mess with your present. 

Finally, as Robert Frost said, "The only way out is through." So- march in unabashed and unafraid to conquer that which dared to shake your faith in you. Go, go, I know you got this!

- Rishika Chutani


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts